View Single Post
Old 06-02-2019, 11:01 PM   #479
Old57

Re: 57 GMC, frame swap, 4wd, 454 big block, 4 speed

I haven't checked in on the forum for a while. Over the weekend, I removed the dual 73 K20 poly transfer case mounts and the cross member. I got a new rubber single mount, made an adapter out of 1/2" aluminum plate on the mill to adapt the mount to the tail housing of the NV4500 transmission, then cut up the cross member and made it fit the new mount and location. Now it is a lot smoother with the good rubber motor and transmission mounts instead of the hard poly mounts. I also changed out the shortened seat frame of the 88-98 bench seat for a stock one to raise the seat up 2". It makes it a lot more comfortable for my leg position on the pedals. I drove it a while today. I took the wife to breakfast, stopped by Walmart to get a couple things, then picked up some mulch for her flower garden. With the seat change and the rubber mounts getting rid of the vibrations, it's pretty pleasant to drive now. I'm almost ready to change the oil for the first part of the engine break in. Also, it got pretty warm and humid today, and the cooling system didn't have any trouble keeping the big block right on the thermostat. I don't have AC, and the vent windows really work great for air flow in the cab.
Attached Images