View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 07:18 PM   #487
Purcell69

Re: 57 GMC, frame swap, 4wd, 454 big block, 4 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old57 View Post
Been quite a while since I posted an update. The truck has been doing good, and I've been driving it when I have a chance. I took it to get some steel the other day, and to fill up the 32 gallon suburban tank. It's too bad the big block doesn't run on thumbs up and hell yeahs, because it gets a lot of those haha.

One issue that I had been dealing with, is that there was a miss when running. It had a little bit of a rough idle, and I can feel a little roughness when I rev it up to steady rpm. Everything was new, and I adjusted the carb and ignition several times, but it still had a little miss. The HEI distributor was one of the new no-name brands from Summit, and the plug wires were new from Autozone. I got a factory GM HEI distributor from a friend of mine, put in a Pertronix HEI upgrade kit (coil, module, cap, rotor, advance weights, and vacuum advance pod), and a set of Taylor plug wires. After that, it runs really smooth! I can reach in the cab and turn the key, and it immediately fires up and idles perfect.
That's great that you got it fixed. Little things like that annoy the hell out of me. It's been 30 years since I had an annoying miss that I couldn't solve with a tune up. My old Power Wagon had one that I couldn't figure out for the life of me. It sat parked for six months while I was deployed to Japan and during that time, I kept troubleshooting the symptoms in my mind. When I got home, I was certain I had a burnt exhaust valve. Sure enough, when I pulled the heads, there was a pie cut in one valve.

A set of rebuilt heads later and I was back on the road. Glad yours was a proper tune up with quality parts.

-Joe