View Single Post
Old 06-06-2020, 01:16 PM   #58
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Re: 67 GMC 1500 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
Cort,
Before installing compressor...you are supposed put oil in compressor and stand compressor on clutch end to saturate seal in oil. New ones can leak. (If you didn't know...)
I'd rather have the modern version, anyway...I bought a new 77 Trans Am, was a senior in high school (yes, I still have it, restifying it...) it had te A6 compressor. stupid thing leaked oil from day one. I took it to the dealer, talked to the car salesman I bought it from. He told me the belt was slinging belt dressing. Horse hockey...??? I was young and naive, I believed him. had seal replaced twice (after warranty). Never quit leaking...

I'd like to see pictures and part numbers (purchase source). have seen one version of the lighter weight A6.

Is your condenser fan wired to come on with AC???
My ex owned a Mazda mini van, I inherited it in the divorce, it was used up by then... It had a condenser fan mounted in front of condenser also. The fan only covered about 1/4-1/3 of the condenser. It cam on with AC operation. that vehicle never overheated, and AC worked very well!!!
I actually did not know I needed to stand compressor on end to saturate seal! Thank you for that! How long should I leave it in that position for?

Yes, the relay right next to isolation switch is controlled by the compressor switch and that powers up the fan to come on whenever compressor is running.

I was worried fan would look junky through the grill, but its not too bad!
Attached Images

Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote