View Single Post
Old 04-04-2021, 06:09 PM   #28
Asshat

Re: Inline 6 is really tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
First fix your brakes.
Try a tune up.
How old is the Pertronix? I don't trust them. [GM HEI is a better system and you can get replacements anywhere.]
A busted vacuum advance diaphragm might give those symptoms. Or jammed fly-weights in the distr.
Pull a compression check.

Then consider rebuilding the 292. Bore it .030 over and you get 296 cubic inches. You can get an upgraded cam. Think about aftermarket intakes for a 4 bbl carb. Clifford and Offy make them. Add headers.
GMC V6s were tank engines in their day, But finding parts is difficult for an engine that rare. Since your rig is already a 292 truck, stay 292.
Stock and aftermarket parts are available for the L25 Chevy engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
Wth the Monojet, it shouldn't matter -- just leave it stock.

When people hot rod their L6 to sport a four barrel, then there's some discussion. Some folks think the truck won't go forward properly if the carb is oriented sideways.
The other school contends that the carb should be aligned so the primaries open equally over both plenums for cylinders 1-2-3 and 4-5-6. Not primaries opening over 1-2-3 and secondaries over 4-5-6.
And some ''experts'' say it's too close to matter unless you're drag racing.
Personally, I don't mind a sidesaddle carb. In fact it's easier to tune it over the drivers side fender, than bellyflopping across the radiator. But it's a free country.
Tune-up: Everything is new... plugs, wires, distributor, cap, rotor, Pertronix. And, the plugs look pretty good.

Compression check - I need to do this.

I can see the vacuum advance at the distributor is moving, when I rev the throttle, the vcuum advance is moving the distributor plate and linkage.

I don't want to just re-build the I6 - thinking about picking up a GMC 305E V6 - would rather rebuild that motor. I'm just wondering why mine is so sluggish.

Same thinking with the Offy intake manifold - if this motor is crap, why should I dump money into an intake or a new exhaust?