View Single Post
Old 02-09-2023, 01:16 PM   #79
hewittca

Re: Sullii the 72 GMC 1500

I felt like I learned everything I needed to with the engine test fit, so it was time to pull it back out. With the engine out, it really emphasized how bad the engine bay looks. My friend and motivator convinced me that it was worth taking the time to clean up the firewall and other engine bay components, so we rolled the truck outside for a proper cleaning. (Note this is before cleaning!)

After cleaning, we primed the firewall for a fresh coat of 510 Medium Blue. The final results will have to wait until the paint arrives, but it already looks better than it did.

With the engine bay on hold, it was time to divert attention back to the motor. I wanted to get the engine and transmission mated for good, so it was time to actually install the clutch components. I spent quite a bit of time researching and agonizing over what components I should use to marry these two together. Ultimately, I used all stock components with the addition of a slave cylinder shim kit to make it all work. On the engine side I used all 2002 Silverado components, and on the transmission side I used 2001 Blazer parts. With the addition of the shim kit, it all came together perfectly. For those curious or trying to research this for your own build, here's what I used:

Silverado Parts

-2002 GenIII 5.3 from a Silverado
-GM 11569956 LS Flywheel Bolt M11X1.5 x6
-Pressure Plate Bolt M10x1.5 x6
-LUK 04205 (04-205) Clutch Kit (includes clutch disk, pressure plate, pilot bearing, and alignment tool)
-SACHS NFW1050 Flywheel

Blazer Parts

-2001 NV3500 from a Blazer Xtreme
-LUK LMC444 Clutch Master Cylinder
-SACHS SH6133WB Clutch Slave Cylinder

Holley 319-204 Release Bearing Shim Kit

As far as functionality goes, I have not been able to actuate this clutch yet, but assembly and clearances all checked out. I will update once I am able to test this combo.

Once I paint the firewall, I will be able to drop the motor/trans back in for what should be the final time. Until then, all I can do is admire how it's all coming together.

-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread

Last edited by hewittca; 02-10-2023 at 08:03 AM.
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote