View Single Post
Old 07-16-2023, 06:17 PM   #3
92 Dime

Re: Project: Good Enough

7/15 was exhaust day (or maybe "8 trips to the parts store day"). Having already cut back the exhaust to solid pipe, I was able to quickly replace the cat. Then the fun stopped. Everything between the old cat and the tailpipes had to go. I think I was the 6th or 7th person to install an exhaust system on this truck, and everyone had welded on their own hangers for the exhaust. There comes a time when some of those have to go!

I wound up buying a cheap angle grinder (because my good one is 150 miles away) and cutting most of the hangers off. That also got the remains of the muffler out of the way, but first I had to dissect out the tailpipes from what was left of the muffler.

Finally that was done, and I could bolt on more hangers and get the muffler and tailpipes on. Everything seemed solid, so I called it a day.

7/16 let me try out my new Mityvac bleeding system. It worked but I still don't like the feel of the brake pedal. I may bleed it again the old way just to convince myself everything is OK.

Took the truck for a test drive up north of town, where I've been test-driving cars and trucks since high school. Not sure how fast I was going when I got pulled over, that mooney-idiot-spedometer was pegged at 85. Nice deputy, his first words were to ask if I was test-driving before buying or checking some repairs? He told me to slow down and have a nice day.

Did some actual work with the truck today, hauling some brush (pretty bad storm last night) to the dump. Everything worked. I think I'll go get that tool box out of the box.

'92 S10: 2wd, regular cab/shortbed, parked when the gerbils died

'86 GMC Sierra Classic:2wd/305, shortbed, stock except for aftermarket rust (sold)
92 Dime is offline   Reply With Quote