View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 10:15 PM   #7
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: exterior body parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I maybe have not installed the brand panels that dwcsr has, maybe some of them fit.

My experience is they take more work than fixing the old stuff. Personally, my experience tells me that guy at that shop doesn't do much of this kind of work.

If he does, if he tells you he has done these trucks using the reproduction parts and he rather do that, then go for it. If he thinks the parts are going to fit like the aftermarket parts available for a 2015 Honda, he is sadly mistaken, they are NOT the same quality.

So ask the guy, if he has done it, and he rather put the new repros then go for it. But make it clear that you won't pay for more time to fit the reproduction. You have to make a choice, fix those or put new, but if he isn't going to back that, I would say stay with the original.

Brian
I agree that they will not be 2017 OEM quality.

I would not accept he not pay for more time for the reason I stated above. How do you know if the cab or frame or what ever hasn't been torqued , it doesn't take a lot and its not always visible to someone that does do these on a daily basis. A little tweaking on each part makes a big problem at the end.

If you've take enough of these apart you know they can tweak and twist just sitting wrong on the jig or wood frame you made to hold it. These are poorly made trucks by today's standards and they flex a lot.

When we do a complete back panel we first set it on a leveled known good jig, ( frame section) tighten the front mounts leaving the back undone but shimmed to spec so it can move. We cut the panel off, trim up the edges and clamp the new panel in place for two to three days. Hour 1 you see the panel may be twisted or even warped. Day two its smoothed out significantly and by day 3 it usually looks like a factory installed panel and we haven't done anything to it since it was clamped up. So what moving the panel or the cab structure? Most likely both.

If we welded it in position on hour 1 it would stay warped permanently but what's the issue, whats warped, the cab, the way it was put on. Both is my guess the panel came out of the box straight and smooth.

Signs you have a problem with a torqued or twisted cab,, you cut off a panel and hear , ping , or boing or snap or pop on the last 1/8 inch or worse you see it shift when you do the last cut.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote