View Single Post
Old 03-11-2019, 11:03 AM   #19
James Lamb

Re: Daily Driving a Square Suburban

Ryan

We don't have much salt to worry about down here in AL. Heck we hardly even have winter anymore. But, since I have been driving 4 wheel drives for over 30 years now I do worry about rust inside the fenders from mud. So I always pressure wash the inside of the fenders and then coat all my trucks with a good rubberized undercoating. Would that work as an anti-salt solution for you guys who live where it actually snows ?

FYI, despite many objections to running bigger tires you will see on forums aka it will wear out wheel bearings, I have not had any issues running 2" bigger tires. The original tires were tiny. They looked weird on the truck. It's a free lift, the engine turns over a couple hundred rpms slower at speed, which can help with mpg. Although I'm sure there's a tradeoff somewhere with increased aerodynamic drag by lifting one. Considering these things are as aerodynamic as a brick on wheels, I figured the increased ride height and lowered engine rpms outweighed aerodynamics.

I agree with other opinions about finding a clean truck, with a good interior not missing pieces and worrying about the mechanicals after. Much easier to fix engines and transmissions than restore a ragged out interior.

383 - it would be interesting to see what sort of fuel economy one designed more for highway running could do - i.e. one without an rv cam in it. I have little personal experience and just about all the internet postings are people building street rods, not building a reasonable daily driver. FYI, I only have about 300 miles on my new engine, so I'm hoping fuel economy improves once the engine is fully worn in.
James Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote