View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 01:13 PM   #213
SCOTI

Re: Project: Recycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
I understand your reasoning for not wanting to remove the notch, but couldn't you just plug weld inside and out? It seems to me if you plug welded the holes, and ran a bead along the perimeter of the plate it might even be stronger.

I don't know why I question this, as I have little doubt that you have analyzed this in depth...
The plug/perimeter welds were my original intent. I cut the same section of the 'extra' frame for the task & even planned to wrap it over the top vertical to horizontal bend. Once it was in place next to the upper bag mount, it just didn't 'look' right. I kept visualizing different approaches but didn't feel any were better.

Sooooo.... An executive decision was made to make a decision. The bolt-on plates allow me to move forward w/a reinforced frame section. If I don't care for the final appearance when the chassis has color & is assembled, I can make changes @ that time.

Thanks for the insight. As always, I do repsect your opinion & share the concerns.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote