View Single Post
Old 10-20-2014, 07:32 AM   #4
47 Fasttoys

Re: Camaro drivetrain alignment ???

The key is to make sure what ever the angle you have at the rear of the transmission is cancelled at the pinon. Meaning if the transmission is -4 degrees the pinon should be +4 degrees. The same applies to side angles, if the pinon is off set to one side but perpendicular the frame then engine center line also needs parallel to the frame (output shaft end perpendicular). Think of it this way, if you view the drive shaft angle verses the transmission angle verses the pinon angle from the side, it needs to look the same if you where viewing it from the top. This way the angles cancel. Many of the old Ford 9 inch rear end where had the off set condition. Many of the new stuff also has the engine off set to one side. If you off set the front of the engine but not the transmission you will not have cancelling drive shaft side angles. I learned all this the hard way when I had pinon shaft explode from vibration during a burnout, yea, that was not to impressive on my maiden test run in front of the house.

Last edited by 47 Fasttoys; 10-20-2014 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Added text.
47 Fasttoys is offline   Reply With Quote