View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 02:04 AM   #57
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

Well, after doing some work on the steering shaft in my wife's truck this morning, I decided to try my luck at doing something on the Suburban. Almost immediately it resulted in a pretty good display of blood-letting. It wasn't bad enough that my right index finger knuckle somehow touched a surfacer disc on a grinder that was spinning down and made a 1/8" x 3/16 hole in said knuckle, but while retrieving the bandages from my work bag, I managed to completely open up a wound I created on Thursday with a hammer and drift on my left index finger resulting in significantly more blood than the initial injury created. I was a bit aggravated at this point. I decided to press on and see if I could keep it together enough to get something done. Perseverance prevailed and I successfully accomplished something.

I decided the fun-for-the-day would be the lower alternator bracket that I ordered months ago from Cummins and am still waiting for.

I started with this:

I took a piece of 1/2" plate and cut a piece to fit the top of the water inlet housing mounting to the two rear holes (front hole not used). Then I took a piece of 3/8" plate to make legs that look similar to this:

The legs will go between the 1/2" plate and the 1" round bar that Russ (BadDog) bored a .500" through-hole for me. I welded it all together and ended up with this:

It turned out good. Mounted up and gave some more girth to an already fairly stout upper bracket. While I was doing this, I got a call from Russ and was informed that he had finished machining an uber cool part that I dreamed up to solve a problem that arose in an area near this. I will post details and pics after I get over to his place and acquire the part. Stay tuned.

Last edited by mosesburb; 11-13-2017 at 02:53 AM.
mosesburb is offline   Reply With Quote