View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 09:04 AM   #71
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Re: The Story Of A Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesburb View Post
Thanks!!

But I do have twin electric fans on it. I know, I know.

I have not had great luck with electric fans in this state and I absolutely, positively, despise a vehicle that can not be run at maximum power under ANY condition. There are mountain passes around here that have signs saying turn off A/C and slow down. When I pass these signs, the throttle goes down and I turn the A/C to high (I have radiators in my S10s with 4.3L's that could keep a big block in a passenger car cool).

I ran into a guy years back that had done a Cummins conversion on his mid-'80's Sub and he had used two electrics because of fitment issues. When pulling long passes at high boost pressures his temp would creep up and not drop back down until he slowed down significantly. It was such a problem for him that he re-designed his cool-pack to make enough room for a factory fan and clutch setup. The amount of air that a stock belt driven fan can pull dwarfs the best electric fans out there. I am *hoping* that the fan clutch wil not engage too often, but I'm sure it will run more than I would like. In my opinion, hoping it doesn't come on too often is better than having to hope the engine temp will go down soon on a ten mile long, 7% grade on a balmy 115 degree ambient afternoon.

I figure doing the engineering now is easy compared to having to go back into the project to re-do something.
I can understand where you are coming from. If I can get my hands on one I am going to be doing a cummins conversion myself on my 72 C/30, My plan was to install the new set that Flex A lite has come out with, they are suposed to move 6,600 cfm.

I have run big trucks all over that country out there, you haven't lived till you have done the north end of 17 when it is icy, and you weigh 79,000 lbs!

It is going to be a pretty cool rig when you get it done. I do like the attention to detail you are going at it with, I have seen way too many folks just slap an engine in a bay, and mickey mouse it to make it run. It is nice to see that you care enough to do it right.