View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #52
jocko

Re: Complete T5 swap thread - one way to skin the cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAYDAY View Post
why not use the 4.3 s10 bell housing and hydrolic throw out and just bolt it to the motor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 View Post
That is a very good question. I can get a spacer from Hamilton, or shorten the output, but I think the hydraulic throw out would add to my head scratching... I think.

Jocko... ?
I'll assume the bell housing is a direct bolt-on (I just don't know for certain), but it comes down to whether or not you want to use your entire stock set-up that currently works - or - work the nit noids of marrying up a manual clutch pedal to a hydraulic release bearing master cylinder (and purchase that master cylinder), route the hoses, and hope it all bleeds easily... Me, I have enough trouble bleeding my brakes, so that's the last thing I wanted to add. One benefit though of a hyd release bearing setup is you free up a little more room for headers on the driver's side.

Also, note that you cannot do the whole bell housing thing from a Camaro, a Camaro T5 has a "twist" built in that cants the transmission so the stick lines up correctly in the Camaro console. That is why if you buy a Camaro T5 stick from Hurst or the aftermarket, it's got a cant built into the stick that results in an upright stick (ask me how I know...). So, I would not begin to attempt with a Camaro bell housing. A Camaro trans on a stock truck bell housing is a great thing (no spacer is required because a Camaro has the correct length input shaft) but you have to make sure you put an S10 tailshaft onto the Camaro's main case if you want the stick to clear a bench seat.

So, to answer your quesiton, yes, I believe you can do what you're suggesting, and it might be a good idea if you REALLY want a hyd release bearing (keep in mind - this would be a hyd release bearing setup, NOT a hyd slave cylinder setup that came on 60-62 Apaches). However, if you are choosing to go with an S10 bell housing because you think it might be easier - think again, setting up the hyd release bearing, installing the MC, etc is more work and more difficult than using the stock truck bell.

My 2 cents only, many ways to skin the cat. Hope that helps!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote