View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #72
jocko

Re: Complete T5 swap thread - one way to skin the cat

thanks glos55, much appreciated. it's been a labor of love. And hate, occasionally

C-10 cutty - here's some links that might help answer some of your quesitons - the Camaro 1st gear ratios are, generally speaking, lower (numerically) on v8 cars compared to v6 and or an S10 4 or 6 (i.e. generally speaking, an engine that came from the factory with less torque will have a deeper (higher numerical) 1st gear to help multiply the torque better for a tiny engine). But this first link shows what ratios came in what.
http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Bo...T5-ID-Tags.htm One more note - don't fall into the trap of thinking that what I said above means to buy a small engine's trans so that you can have massive torque multiplication and do a lot of burnouts. 1) you'll blow the trans and 2) even if you don't, you'll only be halfway across an intersection before it's time to shift into 2nd gear. To me, the Camaro v8 T5 main case is an ideal arrangement and it makes 1st gear a lot more useful and similar to today's cars, especially if you already have a 3.73 rear end. If you have a 3.08 rear, then a 4.0+ 1st gear ration in the trans might not be too bad. BUt the 4.0+ 1st gear ratio (like what came in a 4 cyl S10) and a 3.73 (or higher numerically) rear end can become a bothersome combo - 1st gear rapidly becomes useless, and you'll want to start off in 2nd gear.

This thread is great info for identifying a "found" T5 as a WC or non-WC visually - especially the first 2 pics are the best ID tip I've seen.
http://www.flatheadv8.org/ernie/ernie-t5.htm

One very important note (quote) from the above link: "It’s worth noting again that the ’93-95 F-body V6 cars got a Ford case with a GM input shaft" - in other words, AVOID them because the case bolt pattern is ford.. no workie for our swaps. Note that is F-body (Camaro/Firebody) only - a 93 S10 still has the correct GM bell bolt pattern. That is what mine is.

As to what year Camaro/F-body main case to look for - I'd focus on 92 and earlier to avoid the Ford bolt pattern snafu. Among those, I'm not sure which is more or less good - but essentially just look at the first link, determine if you want a v8 or I4/V6 gear ratio set, and use the 2nd link to ID a trans as a WC or non-WC and those are the two major considerations in my mind.

I'm not certain that the non-v8 Camaro T5s were WC trans's - but you can ask the seller then visually confirm, etc.

Hope that helps!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote