View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #49
Yellow72C10

Re: HELP! First truck, need to be back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by slikside View Post
Never done a 14 bolt before, but I imagine you do it the same as a 12. You have to pull that diff cover to drain it. All 14 bolts come out. You will need to scrape all of the old gasket off of the cover and what remains on the casing. Get a new gasket and some RTV, put RTV on the casing and cover and sandwich the gasket in between. Replace cover....do not over tighten these bolts, you can bend the flange, and it wont seal right afterward. About 22lbs of torque IIRC.

90 wt. oil about right. Look around the top portion of differential hub for a removable plug. This is where you fill it from. Fill until it just starts to run out of the same hole. Replace plug. Done. (about 2qts, maybe more for 14 bolt)

Course, depending on rear wheel seals, and pinion seal, you may have leakage. If you have oily, tacky wetness in your rear brake backing plate and such, your rear seals are leaking (pull the drum and look at the whole brake assembly). Comes from the same 90wt. that is lubing the rear end. It lubes the rear wheel bearings as well.

Best of luck, and keep ius posted! That is a Legacy truck you have there! I'm sure your GrandDad is smiling down on you for saving that rig! Congrats!
Haha thanks man, and I appreciate the kind words. I'll put more pics up soon, and that's a sharp truck you've got
Posted via Mobile Device
Yellow72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote