View Single Post
Old 01-21-2021, 03:00 PM   #5
72k20Farmtruck

Re: Dana Super 70 Limited Slip Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
GL5 oil in the 85/90 range plus the modifier. It'll take a while to work itself in. I do have a concern on why the shaft had to be cut. Should not have had to do that.
Ok maybe I need to just go for a long drive to get the oil moved around in there.

The reason for the cut shaft is this carrier is designed for a Dana 70HD, they didn't make a limited slip carrier for a Super 70. The main differences in a Super 70 and a 70HD is all standard dana 44,60,70, & 80's have 10 bolt holes in the cover. A super has 12, notice in the picture. The other main difference is the crosspin in the center of the carrier is offset like 3/8". So when installing an HD carrier, one axleshaft butts against the pin, the other sits a little shallow. So to get the best engagement possible, I used some Permatex Prussian Blue marking compound on the splines to see how deep it'd go. Then took the longer shaft and used it on the long side on the pumpkin, measured my flange difference, added an 1/8" for good measure and to prevent from being totally bottomed out. Then just cut it with a skinny wheel!

It's actually not uncommon to have to cut axleshafts down when modifying odd rear ends. My grandpa said they had to do that back in the day with 9" fords all the time because you never knew what you were going to get and you had to make it work.
72k20Farmtruck is offline   Reply With Quote