View Single Post
Old 07-25-2019, 06:21 PM   #48
SCOTI

Re: Steering coupler or Rag joint

SunSoaked (or others that have done this mod), what was your procedure for the install??

I took measurements of the shaft w/the 'box' end seated 100%. With it bottomed out against the steering box, I scribed a line on the opposite end of the new XJ shaft @ the end of the column (the scribed line gives me a dimension w/the shaft fully seated). I also measured the amount each end of the shaft required to be properly engaged/seated when installed (~.750" @ each end).

Using those dimensions, it seems something else is going to need to be moveable to get the new shaft installed (this is just a preliminary assessment & not factual).

When I pulled the shaft away the required amount to achieve that .750" seated dimension @ the box, it didn't move far (maybe .500"). So to be able to wedge the shaft in between the box @ the bottom & the column @ the top while still getting .750" engagement @ both ends is going to require some give.

Is there enough give @ the shaft joints when installing the shaft between the fixed distance of the two ends (frame mounted box; firewall mounted column; maybe not quite .750" engagement top & bottom but a little less/yet equal amounts)?

Or did you 'over-collapse' the shaft & then have to heat it back up to allow expanding it enough to seat properly (the full.750" @ each end)?

I can figure it out.... But if you have insight to offer, I'll def take it into consideration so I don't make a mountain out of a mole-hill.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote