View Single Post
Old 10-22-2020, 02:25 PM   #14
Dukk

Lightbulb Re: Vehicle security

I suggest a good brand alarm with a battery back-up so cutting the main battery cable doesn't disable it, pinswitches for all doors and the hood, a good shock sensor, and probably most importantly: at minimum three different noisemakers. Sirens with different sounds, the car horn, etc. It is the first indicator a would be thief has that this is not a $99 alarm install. Oh - and HIDE the sirens. I suggest under the wiper cowl. Super loud still and impossible to reach. I like to put one on the inside as well, under the dash where anyone who has opened a door is going to stick their head. Surprise. I did this with a car horn once. It was stupid loud.

What you want is the whole neighborhood to go WHAT THE EFF IS THAT???

Avoid the temptation to add a glass break sensor. They tend to be unreliable. Also avoid the temptation to really jack the sensitivity of the shock sensor up. The more it goes off, the less your neighbors will come look.

The alarm will have a starter kill circuit in it but a separate switch is not a terrible idea. Be careful interrupting the coil wire. For sure it is effective but a bad switch or connection may leave you stranded.

Wheel lugs are always good to protect them. Defeatable, yes, but still a PITA.

If you want to deter someone just rolling it away or onto a flatbed, get a wheel boot. Not expensive and a great deterrent.
Dukk is offline   Reply With Quote