View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 03:17 AM   #13
losthope

Swaybar Install FAQ With Pictures UPDATE!

***UPDATE***

"Tx Firefighter" did a great thread on installing front sway bars on earlier trucks but since it was posted in 2003 and its almost 2012 i figured it might need a update with some stuff i have come across doing my swaybar.

I will be using pictures from the original thread

First I'll start with the bushings:

In the old post "Tx Firefighter" said that they cost $11.00 for a box(set of 2) so 4 bushings would cost you $22.00.
When i went to the parts house (kragen o'riellys) and gave them "Moog# k6476" they cost $20.99 for a box(set of 2) so 4 bushings will cost you $42.00 before tax,but the good thing is that if you just give them the part number "k6476" there will be the MOOG brand bushings then also MASTERPRO brand that cost $7.99 for a box(set of 2) so the four you need will cost you around $16.00,They might not be "urethane" or might be,doesnt say in listing but alot cheaper:

Brackets:

Since i need the lowering brackets for my install i found out
www.earlyclassic.com still sells them under part #: ECE #02-5402 for $19.00 a pair for the set for lowered trucks.

Also www.carolinaclassictrucks.com sells them under part #: ECE #02-5402 for $19.00 a pair for the set for lowered trucks and gets them from Earlyclassics also.

Also www.truckandcarshop.com sells them:
Stock height brackets:
GM brand part# 65-14603 $26.00 each (2 required)

Reproduction brackets part# 65-146032 $24.00 (pair)

Lowered bracket set part# 65-146031 $24.00 (pair)

Also www.classicperform.com sells them:
Stock height brackets part# 6372SSB for $24.00 (pair)

Lowered set part# 6372LSB for $24.00 (pair)

Three of the above companys were out of stock of the lowering mounts and said it could take up to two weeks to get them made so if your going to need them you might want to call around and get them ordered before you start to tackle your sway bar project.

Now here's where I ran into a problem with my sway bar install I noticed some guys were mounting thiers right to the frame without the frame brackets like in this picture notice how high up the bar is and how high the stock steering box sits on frame:

I tried to do this but since i have the power steering the gear box hangs lower on my frame then where the stock steering gear box does.I couldnt mount mine that far up on frame and need the lowered sway bar frame mounts that let the bar mount lower then where the bar ends up when you mount it straight to the frame here you can see about the level mine needs to be with mounts notice rivet location in each picture(in this picture i had my sway bar the wrong way but flipped it over and still same result):

this is how it should look mounted when my mounts arrive:

Hope this helps!

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
H.A.M.B 54 Build Thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=622142

Last edited by augie; 02-17-2012 at 04:06 PM.