View Single Post
Old 08-28-2019, 02:58 PM   #6
vectorit
What?

Re: Custom rebuildable shocks

My 1972 K10 LWB PU with 4" lift and 33's had a wandering condition, and it's a combination of issues that I am working to resolve.
1. Body mounts
2. Front upper shackle bushings
3. Rear leaf bushings
4. Worn out shocks

I just had the alignment checked, and it is spot on as is.
However all of my ball joints in the Dana 44 are pretty bad, but not really a main cause to the wandering condition but do contribute to it.

First project was replacing all of the body mounts that were missing or shot. I replaced these with OE mounts, since the poly ones are a little too much for what is needed.

Second project was to repair the worn out front upper shackle housings and bushings. Replaced with bigger, and polly urethane bushes.
Just this alone cleared up most of the wandering, to the point that it's a livable situation and doesn't freak me out anymore.

Soon I plan to replace the worn out rear rubber bushes with polly's.
Then I will most likely install Bilstein 5100's for shocks.

I have rebuildable Kings in my 2002 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, they are a huge improvement over the basic gas shocks but they need to be gone through every 2 years since the seals blow out in them. I personally wouldn't go that route for a leaf sprung truck like ours...

Work on replacing all bushings with poly urethane, and make sure your front axle and steering equipment are ok.

I'm also contemplating installing airbags in the rear, since I have on board air compressors.

Last edited by vectorit; 08-28-2019 at 03:52 PM.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote