View Single Post
Old 11-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #1
mygmctruck1

My Frustration Level High

This 68 GMC k1500 truck is going drive me insane ! This being a one of a kind year makes it almost impossible to complete anything with out something else cropping up .
Could not find the longer 7/16 wheel studs with .56 spline , so had to go with a set of 1/2” x 20 x.56 spline. Everything worked out except now the brake drums have to be re drilled because the stud holes are to small. Why because in order the get a longer studs I also had to settle for a longer spline which interferes with the brake drum stud holes. Try getting a new set of original style springs for this thing , not going to happen . Eaton made me a set but nothing like the originals .
The drive shaft is another never thing , no one ever saw this stinking pencil style drive shaft . So had to have one made , power steering ? That was fun ! Now my newest project , power assist brakes and I can see problems coming already . I have 7 months left to get this thing on the road for a cruise to N.Y this spring. At this rate I’ll be every day for the 7 months getting it road worthy.
They only made about 500 of these things and I think I have one of maybe
A half dozen left in the country. In fact they made so few of them , an old GMC sales person swore they never made my truck . When he saw it , he still wondered were he was when it was being sold.
Ok , that’s my rant . Back to the garage to work out another issue !
mygmctruck1 is offline   Reply With Quote