View Single Post
Old 11-13-2019, 01:44 PM   #14
mygmctruck1

Re: My Frustration Level High

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I didn't know if I wanted to step into this one or not! I have a question. How much did you know about a '68 K1500 when you decided to go about this restoration? Ok. Well, you're learnin' . That too is what this restoration thing is all about. It ain't no kit

The spring width on 4wds changed to narrower after '68. '69 has the same drivetrain and was last year for V6. Steering changed in '70 as well as new transmissions and transfer case came out. Basically, drivetrain changed except rear. Then disc brakes on same front end in '71. A lot of people go with swapping to later components for convenience, parts availability, serviceability, upgrading. Restoring to original is never the easiest route. You take a direction and keep going until it's done. Maybe move to another thing when something gets frustrating. You'll get it done.
I tore this truck apart when it was still considered a normal truck. How in the heck in 1984 would anyone think this was anything but a bastard truck. In fact many of the people I talked to said Chevy was the same truck 67-68-69 . Besides there were so few of them around no one knew enough about them to be of any help.
I am not *****ing about this , just frustrated , mostly because no one has many answers for this truck.
When I called Dorman about longer wheel studs , he chuckled when I told him it was a 68 K1500. Then he helped me with what he could.
I already restored a 69 Mustang Mach 1 , a peace of cake compared to this.

This truck wasn’t supposed to be like a stutz bear cat , or a Cord just a regular 4x4 truck.
mygmctruck1 is offline   Reply With Quote