View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 10:50 PM   #148
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Re: K30 Downgrade to Cummins Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddogg View Post
I'm watching it. Don't quit posting updates!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmikkels View Post
Me too, I check the diesel conversion page every day.
Special THANKS to the dieselwrencher for all the good info.
Gene
Thanks guys, this helps motivate me to post. I've been making progress and will share some info and pics. I agree, Dieselwrencher is a big help for sure!

I'm having a couple other issues with the forum as far as posting goes and maybe that is also driving people away. 1). the forum will not allow me to log in on my phone so its a pain to post pics!! 2.) it keeps rotating my pics when I upload them- ggggrrrrrr! I guess I need to flip them sideways in advance so they are right side up when the forum touches them. It didn't do this in years past.

I cut out the core support down to the frame rails since the big radiator would otherwise hit the hood when the hood was closed. I have been test fitting with the intercooler and leaving enough room for AC condenser. The first pic below shows position mock up with rad sitting on rails and IC in front. It will come back close to an inch from here to allow the condenser to fit and still use the stock dodge fan shroud. I am basically going to have to design and make the whole center section of the core support from scratch and I can't use the stock mounting perches since the rad and IC need to practically touch the frame rails, just leaving enough clearance for vibration through the rubber mounts. I think I will have steel tubing rigidly bolt to the frame rails and then extend out to a relocated rubber bushing that is basically under the headlights. This way I keep the principle of damping the vibration to the fenders and grille but allow the rad/IC/condenser as far forward as possible. I now have a good 2" of clearance to the engine driven fan. I am trying to move the fan shaft up 1 inch or a bit more on the engine to better center the fan in the shroud. There are actually 2 holes 1 inch above the stock holes, but I need to figure out how to get the other 2 bolts tied to something. I don't feel comfortable drilling and tapping the block. I may CAD up a fan shaft/bearing housing and machine it or I may be able to fab up a way of clamping it to the block from neighboring holes on the front of the block. I went ahead and bought a 2nd gen condenser and AC compressor from Rock auto along with a bunch of other parts.

Decided I would rather fabricate the engine accessory mounts than buy something since the costs are adding up quick and I enjoy the fab work.
I was able to make some good progress this weekend on fabricating up a mount for the AC compressor and modifying what was there for a high alternator mount. I am using what used to be the top support for the alternator as the bottom mount for it. I cut the compressor mount off the AC/water inlet and will bolt it to my steel fabricated bracket. I am going to have to relocate the tensioner, and actually toss the 2nd gen one and get one from 3rd gen since it tensions in the opposite direction. Now I am wondering what lengths I can buy the 8 rib belts in. I need to wrap a string around everything and get a measurement.
Attached Images

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6

Last edited by Vintage Windmills; 02-12-2019 at 11:25 PM.
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote