View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
gerfunken

Re: Question using a Dodge NP241DLD X-fer case

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendman View Post
So your going to use the dodge axles?

I used a dodge np205 out of a earlier truck, bolted right on the 47rh with the right coupler.
Trouble is the coupler is 23 spline, tough to find and expensive.

With the dodge np205 I am able to keep my GM 1-ton axles and not have to deal with fuss of swapping axles
Ya, I'm planning on it. I've been watching the diesel section for a while and I also have a friend that does some serious rock crawling with a custom buggy. One of the big things that I've seen discussed is the what part is off of what syndrome. I figured that while I could piece everything together, it would potentially make my life much more simple if I could just know that body/interior/exterior was 1972 Chevy K-20, and everything related to the driveline was 1994 Dodge 2500.

But, as I'm going through my punch list, I'm realizing that I'm still going to end up with a couple of questionable items along the way. The Dodge, for instance, probably has one of the worst front axle configurations I've seen, with the vacuum assisted 4x4 engagement and no free-spin hubs. In my mind that leaves a couple of really weak points that I'd like to address, but those come with additional modifications.

Now, the reality is that I'm into the Dodge for about 5500 at this point... to me that means that I've got an engine, tranny, transfer case, front and rear axles from a matching truck (plus I can pull out any additional things I may need along the way.) I can either scrap or part out the body to recoup some of the cost. I'll also have the SM465, NP205, and 4.10 geared D44 and H052 that I can sell off as well. I'm not looking to completely recoup my cost, but I'll be able to get a little bit back.

Finally, the HO Crate 350 that I've got in the truck today will end up going on a stand for two years while I get things lined up for my 1930 Chevy 3-window coupe that I've got sitting in my garage.

All in all, I think I've thought most of this through. I know that some will agree, and others have different opinions, which I'm fine with... I just think I did the right thing for me at this point.

1972 Chevy K20
Picture Gallery
Build Thread

1930 Chevy AD
Picture Gallery

1929 Ford Model-A
Picture Gallery

1975 Triumph TR-6
Picture Gallery
gerfunken is offline   Reply With Quote