View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 06:50 PM   #12
SCOTI

Re: ID'ing a 350 Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Tractorguy View Post
Thanks for the additional info guys!

So this engine is in an '88 V30 dump truck. Dad had a cam put in for extra power towing and hauling not knowing about the ECM deal...

Currently has an ECM and throttle body from his old 1991 Cheyenne 2500 (GMT400 truck). Would a stock cam for a '91 350 be correct? Or will any stock cam '87 - '91 work? Not sure if GM changed ECM parameters over those years, or kept them all the same. Or if being from a GMT400 would make a difference. I also have a few more computers kicking around from the late 80's.

Searching online I found Harristuning.com, figured he would be the best place to have a chip burnt if necessary...

Is this the 30-30 cam you mentioned? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-12-673-4

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff so any more info you guys have would be appreciated. Looking to get this truck running correctly the simplest way possible. More than happy with stock power at this point since it's probably had half that at best it's whole life...

Swapping out the cam with a stock, correct new one and NOT having to touch the computer chip would be preferred.
I did a 'Mild/RV/Towing' cam for the TBI fueled rebuilt 7.4l in my Squarebody 89 dually. TBIChips/Harris Tuning is where my chip came from. I didn't have exact cam specs for them (that I recall) & just told them it was just a towing/RV cam. Other than some mild surging @ idle I haven't had issues on my TBI set-up. They have a required tech sheet where you input as much info as possible & the chip is burned off of that. I expected to use that as a starting point & possibly seek further tuning beyond that & quickly found.... nothing. Nobody does tuning for these antiquated set-ups that I could find locally.

It's still in there as is. 7500miles or so on the rebuilt motor & it works. I know there is more in the combo but live w/it as is.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote