View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 09:01 AM   #26
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Re: Where are all the contractors hiding?

On the flip side of things, I haven't looked at any new jobs for over a month now. (too busy with what I have already) Most homeowners think that it is no big deal to just stop by and give a quote. They don't realize the time and effort into doing this. I put out quite a few bids this spring with MANY hours invested and not so much as a return call for even a simple thanks on quite a few of them. Worst year for that by far. I still get an occasional call now about giving an estimate, I tell them I don't have time and they still want a price on it. If I don't have time to do the job, why would I bid it?

Last one was a call from a guy about new siding and windows on a decent sized house. Said he was very serious about getting it done this year. I told him I had a day I could meet with him and he had to schedule a time for me as to not cross paths with the other 2 or 3 contractors coming the same day. I just told him to give me a call if they didn't work out.

So to answer the original question, the contractors are not hiding, Around here it is trying to find out who is serious and who is just shopping right now. Keep in mind it is a seasonal business here.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote