View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 09:00 PM   #2488
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
Hey Vic did the engine start hard before it was "tuned" or is this only happening after?
This all started on the trip shortly after stopping to fill up with gas at a Love's truck stop. It was hard to start (and even died once) before we got out of the parking lot. Since then, I've put nothing but 93 octane in it and it seems to be starting somewhat better. It's still not instantaneous, but it's pretty quick and certainly not cranking forever like before. I'm starting to think it was an issue with that particular fuel stop. It was also the mid grade fuel instead of premium, but I'm unsure if that would be a factor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
... You probably won't be able to try this until you get home, but if you have a way to bypass the AK system, you could test to see if it fires right up without it.
Actually, that was one of the first things I tried. I had tied off the stock wiring harness plug for the ignition switch under the dash when I put in the AK system. I also carried the switch and key with us just in case. So I plugged it in and tried it, but there was no difference. Forgot to mention that when we were down at your place yesterday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Glad you're still rolling! Hope it's going well!
We're still fighting some issues, but we're slowly winning. There's a problem between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid that I'll have to address when we get home. After we left the show on Saturday, we stopped to eat and the truck wouldn't even turn over. I finally MacGyver'd it by cutting the wire going into the solenoid, splicing some wire onto it and touching the bare end momentarily to the positive battery post. With the ignition on, it fires right up. So that's how we're starting it right now.

We decided the problem with the belt was that it was too long to start with and had stretched just enough to start slipping. I talked to March today and they said it would be fine to go to a 75.5" belt instead of the 76". I'm betting they didn't factor in the small diameter pulley on the alternator when they did their belt calculations. I had bought a brand new 76" and it was even looser than the one that was on there when we tried it. So we dropped back to 75.5" and it's nice and tight. No more squealing belt (knock on wood).

We developed a rattle underneath the truck on the way down, so while we had it up on ramps to install the belt, my bud, Bruce, found that the bolt holding the bottom of the RF fender to the rocker panel had worked loose and fallen out. We replaced it and the rattle is gone.

The PWM controller for the electric fans has been forcing the fans to run at way too low a temperature. So we adjusted it some to delay the onset of the fan signal. I plan to replace the controller with a fan relay that's switched via the fan output from the ECU when I get back home.

The LMC show in Fort Worth was fun, but there were several, pro-built, no expense spared 67-72 trucks there that grabbed the awards for our series. My bud, Jay, struck out with his '52 5-window also and it's super nice. I really didn't see anyone that looked like "judges" stop and give our trucks a once over. Late in the day, a guy on a four wheeler came by going from truck to truck putting stickers on them to indicate they'd been judged. So I reckon they were doing that to keep the riffraff quiet. Lotsa nice trucks though. I'll post some photos over the next few days.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote