View Single Post
Old 07-18-2020, 12:34 PM   #1126
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: A '54 named Busty

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
haha!

but in the good news department, that OEM flex joint isnt really made to take that much angle anyway, even if it didnt hit you would wear the rubber out of it pretty quickly. get a real deal u joint for that, you may need a longer steering shaft too. I know the struggle!

looking at your lengths you may be a candidate for a jeep cherokee (not grand cherokee, the early 80s-90s box) shaft, it has u joints at both ends and a slip shaft, it may be just right and has u joints at both ends. I know you have a camaro clip but the principle and most importantly the DD and splines are the same. those cherokees are all over my local craigslist from the 4x4 guys, parting them out.

V8 S10 Steering shaft upgrade from a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee - YouTube
you always put in so much detail in order to help me, I so appreciate it brother, thank you so much, this has been added to my Do It Right List (... eventually)

Update: after removing the compression coupling I noticed that the bottom shaft was only inserted like 1/4" of an inch instead of like an 1 1/4" glad I took it all apart, by inserting it in fully that lowered the interfering bolt out of the way of the spark plug wire and switching to a shorter bolt fixed the problem.

As far as the angle I also noticed that my steering column sags about an inch at the firewall opening, so I must devise a proper lower steering column bracket, looking for ideas/advice?

looks like this Ididit beauty is just what the doctor ordered:
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 07-18-2020 at 03:32 PM.
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote