View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 02:07 PM   #131
paintman

Re: 46 pickemup in NJ "the Rebuild"

Quote:
Originally Posted by egarage View Post
Paintman, I,m installing a 292 engine and a frame mount power brake conversion kit in my 46 also and have been trying to find out about excessive heat from the exhaust and have found out that we should leave 4 to 6 inches space bt exhaust and conversion kit. I thought of using some sort of heat shield. Have you given any thought about this and what are you going to do? Don
I know what your saying. In fact that's one of the reasons I designed my headers the way i did so one of the tubes could go to the other side of the truck. I'm not so sure that one tube being fed by only 3 cylinders will make all that much heat to be concerned (at least in my case).

I don't think there's any way you could fit both exhaust tubes in between the tranny and a brake booster. I have also seen (a V8) where guys have run both tubes under the motor to the other side of the engine to avoid the booster. I will say this, there sure are a lot of trucks on the web that have made this conversion and I see they run the tube right along side the booster or on the outside of the frame..

It's been in the back of my mind but i figured I would deal with it once I started laying out my exhaust with the cab off. In fact once I start putting the chassis back together I may still have to make a change with the brake booster itself and move it further back under the bed to get it away from the heat. I have seen it done keeping the pedal assembly where it is, and then running a longer push rod back to the booster. In fact Progressive makes a kit. Heres a pic.

As far as progress on my truck I am kind of at a stand still. The last few weeks have been kind of rough around here with a death in the family and a boat load of snow. As of right now I have about 2ft. of snow laying on the ground and it has been wicked cold. I have been able to finish welding up some of the pin holes in the frame but that's about it. UPS delivered the paint for the frame last week (KBS Coatings). Unfortunately I don't have heat in the garage.
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote