Thread: '70 LWB Build
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2022, 12:57 PM   #23
LagunaGlide

Re: '70 LWB Build

I've got a few things under way...

I've built a seat frame and installed a set of buckets out of a VW MK5, and a center console out of a silverado. Really like having the center console, but may end up changing the seats. Still need to get shoulder belts, and finish some things up, but here is where the seats are now.

Among all the parts I have laying around I got some Wheels as well. Unfortunately I didn't bother to measure or look up the rear hub of my truck, and they didn't fit so well. I assumed they would fit as I had seen these wheels on a few 6 lug trucks. After a littler research I ordered a router bit and some bearings, and went to work.

Before

After

They fit now

I removed all the bed bolts, and removed the bumper and bumper brackets for ease of bed removal, and to get those parts cleaned up and repainted.

This past week I removed the old shocks and springs, upper shock mounts, and lower shock mounts. The upper spring retainers were really siezed up. Took a torch and some persuasion.

I had read on these forums and other places how much of a pain these rivets were to remove. I had them off in maybe an hour. I used a grinder to flatten the top of the rivet. Then I drilled a hole about as big as the hole they go through just deep enough to be near or past the base metal. Then I used an air hammer to chisel the drilled part out, and then drove them out with the air hammer punch.

Unfortunately most things I do result in even more work. I removed the upper spring perches from the frame and crossmember. While cleaning them up I noticed they didn't look so good, so I went to tapping with a ball peen.

I am likely going to repair them, but I am certainly open to just purchasing something new, or making something new. Open to thoughts or suggestions.

Also I am unsure what to do with these trailing arms. I read about people removing the rivets, sandblasting, coating, and welding back together, but I can't help but wonder if these are too far gone. I don't understand the rust in the middle. Thoughts?

This week I will be sand blasting some parts including the reworked upper shock brackets in the rear. Coating, and reinstalling. While I am doing all of this I am cleaning up and coating the frame. I have parked the truck somewhere I have access to a lift and shop but only a few days a week just in case something makes the truck undriveable. Slow going, but going.

Last edited by LagunaGlide; 01-30-2022 at 01:09 PM.
LagunaGlide is offline   Reply With Quote