View Single Post
Old 09-14-2013, 02:18 AM   #185
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside BILLYBOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Rian, before you go all crazy with mounting speakers, you may want to look at investing in some foam backing baffles for them.
The reasons being they will improve sound quality, extend the life of the speakers, and in the case of the door mounted ones, they will protect them from the rain water and dirt that slip in through the window gaps.

They run about $10 USD for a pair, and IMO are by far worth the investment.

Good use for the holes in the doors though !!
Are you going to paint the rusty panel to match your door skins? (as in black?)

Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply and advice.

I agree about protection for sure. It will happen.

I had a Ford mini-truck years ago as a student(Google Ford Cortina/ford P100 pickup or Bakkie for images) and had what looked like half cups in plastic over the door mounted speakers. Nicola's MX5 door speakers were rotten for the same reason, so it will be happening.

Regarding the door panel paint..... They will be cleaned up and painted.

However, I may still panel them like the upper panels in leather/vinyl or satin black.
I plan on repainting the whole dash satin black too, as there is just way too much red in there for me.
It will also include welding up that ugly assed radio mount hole and redoing it neatly, and the auxillary gauge panel next to the main instruments and relocating the auxillaries to a panel below the dash. There is a tear in the metal on the one corner of the glove box that needs repairing too. Weld or braze??

If I can have a decent new carpet made up using the existing one as patern, and for sensible money I may go that route as well.

The truck has to stay a driver and working truck, so I need to put function ahead of form all the way. Things like the quarter vent window rubbers will get replaced as they are rotten but the side trim will only get replaced if I earn a bonus or win a lottery draw.
Posted via Mobile Device
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote