View Single Post
Old 08-10-2020, 06:25 PM   #343
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Just a quick update...

Forward progress on the paint front has been fairly steady. Not as much done as I'd prefer, but they do have other customers too I reckon. The front clip, doors and hatch have all been blocked twice with a guide coat and are ready for paint. The body still needs to come off the chassis, then they'll return just the chassis to me at the house for a few things I need to do before reassembly.

They'll have to re-prime the body and block it like they did the removable parts. Then finally we may see some color. This whole project has gotten out of hand from a financial standpoint, so to cut some costs, I elected to forego the red two tone. Painting it solid silver will probably save several thousand dollars and get everything back to me a couple of weeks sooner. At least I hope so. I'll have to re-do the dash parts that I painted red, but that's no biggie.

I've been hacking up the inner fenderwells to remove the support ribs and flatten out the back where it attaches to the firewall. To help maintain the correct shape, I've been doing it in pieces. I used the bead roller to offset the edge and will build a removable panel out of aluminum sheet metal to fill the gaping hole (outlined in yellow) where the fresh air ducts used to be. I threw in a photo of the unmolested side for comparison with yellow arrows showing the areas I modified.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote