View Single Post
Old 07-13-2002, 07:19 PM   #8
mikep
Used to have a truck

having built quite a few 10:1 compression motors with absolutely no quench area at all ( ported 2V Ford cleveland heads with domed pistons ) I'd call the Keith Black statements a bit of an exageration seeing that with premium gas and loads of timing I never experienced detonation. Yes quench can promote better flame travel but if you are using 92 octane gas which you needed to anyway with that high of a compression ratio then you shouldnt have any problems with detonation as long as you dont get too happy with timing over 34 degrees. Especially dont worry about detonation with nitrous. You get so much extra fuel setup into a standard nitrous setup that detonation isnt much of a worry. I'd be more worried about using nitrous with hypereutectics period. Theyre hard and dimensionally stable but they dont have the
resistance to cracking that forged do and most manufacturers dont reccomend them for extended nitrous or supercharged use.
If it bothers you too much then just use steel shim .018" head gaskets and lose that .020" somewhere else. They work just fine and for $17 a set you cant beat the price. Summit has them part number MRG-1130 .