View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
sam512bb

Re: 57 Hydramatic 3 Speed shift indicator question

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
I found this on line, tells what they came in. I am guessing the cars had the indicator in the dash cluster. My dad had on in his 57 gmc bus/camper it was on the column. Looking at the first two pages of a google search did not turn up any obvious places that supplie them, I think you will probably need to start a deep search of the various manf. Start with Jim Carter's, he is one of the oldest and my have a used on in his graveyard.

Hydramatic Standard and Dual Range Also known as Single and Dual Path.
Used 1946-63 in various Olds, Pontiac Cadillac, Hudson, International, Nash, Kaiser and Lincoln models. Also used in GMC and Chevrolet trucks.
There were many versions of this transmission and many parts do not interchange among them.
Good day OrrieG,

Thanks for the reply and the information! Indeed, I looked for a few hours and could not find anything. If I had a good picture of one, I could probably make a suitable replacement. The one that I currently have is clear plastic and has pencil marks for the various shift positions and so I am not stuck... but I would like something that looks authentic.

Thanks for the background history. I never realized that they had auto transmissions that early. My '59 which I sold to get the '57 had a modern transmission (Turbo 350), but was originally standard... which I assumed was for all the older trucks... boy was I wrong!

Cheers,

Sam
sam512bb is offline   Reply With Quote