View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 02:38 PM   #209
Cautrell05

Re: It's my turn, 47 S10 build

I thought I had posted this already but must not have. New Year's Day I spent the afternoon getting the transmission linkage hooked up. One of the big reasons that I used the van column aside from the shift indicator on the inside was that the linkage goes on the outside of the column on the frame side where most of the other GM columns linkage runs down the inside by the engine. Going around the outside let me run the linkage right around the pedals instead of trying to run them through them. I'm sure I'm not the only one but I've got a box of shift linkages and pivot brackets that I've been hoarding for close to twenty years now. I don't remember specifically what they came off of, I just know they were GM products. One of the pivot brackets on the frame side that I had happened to line up almost perfectly with the curve of the S10 frame. It needed just a slight tweak on the end with a crescent wrench but it'll work just fine. The crossbar had to be stretched as expected and rotated anyway. On a regular pick up column, the linkage will run on the front side of the bar, the van column runs on the back side. I recommend putting both the column and the transmission in park, make sure your lever on the transmission is not pointed too far down, and then tack weld it and make sure it works. First time around I thought it was good but it ended up being real hard to get it out of park because the angle is wrong. Second Time around worked a lot better.
Attached Images

My 47/S10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=679723
Cautrell05 is offline   Reply With Quote