View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 01:11 PM   #45
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

Re: What are the Airbags and Frame Mods doing to the future of these trucks?

Twenty years ago, there seemed to be what was an endless supply of these trucks in junkyards, barns, empty fields etc. not so much anymore. Someone wanting to build one of these trucks nowadays is at a big disadvantage in comparison. Because of this we've all see the value of our trucks, and the parts that they're built from increase considerably just by this natural evolution.

Building a heavily modified truck is a expensive endeavor that can run up into the tens of thousands. Although not many end up with a custom truck that is worth more than their investment, I think this can only make the value of unmolested chassis, and coachwork higher. Those wanting to modify want a 'fresh palette", and those wanting something closer to original don't want to have to reverse the modifications of others.

How drive-able are these bagged trucks? Do the handling characteristics reflect the investment, or is it just an ego issue. I've never seen airbags on a true race car, and I sure don't see many of them actually on the road.

I admire the craft that's involved in contemporary chassis mods and high tech modern suspension and brakes, but I question the purpose. I'm a minimalist by nature, and prefer subtle changes that mostly affect performance, handling, and comfort, but that's just my personal taste.

All things considered, I don't think the current trends can do anything but inflate values.