View Single Post
Old 08-15-2021, 07:03 PM   #90
gigamanx

Re: Ford Model A Tudor Modern Twist on a Classic

My first test of the paint booth and I decided to jump in with both feet on color and clear. My paint guy said try a test panel first, but I was too excited to lay some color down.

This is how wet it looks after the clear had dried. I'm guessing the final step of a buff and wax will turn out awesome. Love how glossy it turned out using DCU2021 clear.

Lesson learned:
Booth cleared easily with 4 box fans on the intake doorway and 2 exit fans. I opted to add the Spectrum disposable cup kit from Harbor Freight the night before and that is an amazing buy for $20. I was able to mix and store my color and clear in cups before spraying and once I started laying down color I didn't have to stop to mix things later.

The 17 or so step process for prepping a panel worked out amazing. I'll detail it another time but basically filler, sand with 180, filler, icing and putty to fix any holes, 180 sanding... two coats of Eastwood primer. wet sand with 320. I couldn't be happier with how smooth the surface was after paint and clear. No scratches or marks showing -- so much so I'm not entirely sure I need high build primer on the body when I do that section. Seemed wet sanding the primer took out every concerning mark.

My pressure gauge and final water filter adds about 8" to the bottom of the gun. I think maybe 16-18" of length total cup+gun+air gauge+water filter. When painting under the frame this was a huge PITA to try and angle the gun and not hit the floor

Spray gets on EVERYTHING! I had my phone sitting on a surface near the intake fans and still got clear coat on it somehow ugh!

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote