View Single Post
Old 02-03-2019, 06:19 PM   #71
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
I have my fingers crossed for ya Vic
Must have worked, Dale. I've been saving up some photos in anticipation of doing the first test with the door attached to the hinge. But before the reveal, here's what led up to it.

After marking the door for the area to be removed, I used the air saw to make my cuts. Sure looked like a big hole to fill, but I'll need the section that the latch bolts to later on. A little trimming was necessary to fully clear the swing arm and its mating piece. It was immediately obvious that I'd need to splice in some material to get the back edge of the mounting flange up against the inner door panel. I cut some 1018 cold rolled to the size and angle needed to position the flange and tacked it in place. The mating flange was now snug up against the inner door panel and well out of the way of the window channel.

As added insurance for adjustments down the road, I machined a couple of powdered bronze spacers to fit where the bolts pass thru. This takes up the slack and keeps the holes centered during mock up. I also followed the advice of the techs at Scissor Doors and used washers between the swing arm and the mating flange during the mock up procedure. After welding, removing the spacers will give me a small amount of adjustment in the XYZ directions.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote