View Single Post
Old 09-03-2016, 10:38 AM   #87
NathenMyers

Re: 72 GMC Longbed Duramax Swap

Joyous news!

I finally started the truck with the 72 switches! It looks like we have everything worked out!

so, i don't have an actual diagram, but i'll give the lowdown here, for anyone that is looking for the info... the way that i've spent the last few weeks trying to figure it out!

2005 Duramax LLY Ignition Wiring

full disclosure, i have the full "in cab" 2005 harness AND the full 72 harness in my truck also. I'm sure some of you more experienced fellas could have done this more elegantly, and with less wiring but i'm still learning!

I took the 2005 Ignition switch apart, and it looks like in

Position 1(accessory): Pink (ignition1) and Red (always hot) are engaged

Position 2(run): Pink(ignition1), Red(alwayshot), White(ignition2), Orange(accessory/Heaterblower1),Brown, Red(a second alwayshot)

Position 3(start): red(always hot) Yellow(Starter) Pink(ignition1) White(ignition2)

So, while i was testing to figure out what actually needed to be hooked up to make it start and run. I fashioned 2 switches.
One toggle: Red(always hot) and on the other post i had Pink(ignition1) and White(ignition2)
Pushbutton switch:Red(always hot) Yellow(starter)

It started and ran! So, bare bones start and run works!

Now, to marry it to my 72 switch and harness!

Basically, i wired the 2005 ignition wires (Ignition1, and Ignition 2) to the 1972 Ignition Coil Wires (i had to run them back through the firewall). and the 2005 Yellow(starter) wire to the 1972 Purple(starter) wires.

finally started right up! If you guys have any questions about it, or i've been unclear ( super possible ) Let me know and i'll try to streamline this some!
Attached Images

NathenMyers is offline   Reply With Quote