View Single Post
Old 02-18-2021, 10:22 AM   #187
derotoreut
Roto Reuter thats the name...

Re: Creamsicle: My 70 K10 SWB is about to get sweeter

Over the summer I found that I had some oil drips coming from my oil pan. I decided while I had the front axle out that I would correct the problem. Well I made two mistakes. The first one was using a fabricated oil pan. The Tilden pan is nice, but I think it contributed to my slow leaks. The second mistake I made was trying to change the pan gasket with the engine in place. I thought that maybe there would be enough clearance to be able to pull the oil pan out if I disconnected the motor mounts and jacked up the front of the engine. Well that didn't work. Maybe I should've tried to slide the crossmember forward to remove the pan instead. In the end I was able to get the old pan gasket out and a new one in. I know you're not supposed to use any sealant with the LS style oil pan gaskets, but I decided to put a thin film on the surface anyway. I just didn't trust the sealing surface of the fabricated pan. Unfortunately, I don't have much confidence that just replacing the gasket and re-torquing is going to solve the problem. I'll keep my fingers crossed and see what happens come spring.

Oil pan dropped down to remove old gasket
Name:  IMG_1964.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  51.6 KB

Front of engine jacked up for clearance.
Name:  IMG_1965.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  51.6 KB

Had to remove the pickup tube in place. What a mistake and PITA.
Name:  IMG_1966.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  39.4 KB

New gasket put in place.
Name:  IMG_1967.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  46.8 KB

New gasket installed and ready to button it up.
Name:  IMG_1968.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  47.5 KB

1970 SWB Fleet K10 4X4, 5.3L LM7, 4L60E, Dakota Digital RTX, Vintage Air, Ididit tilt
1971 SWB Fleet C10 - Original SWB Arizona truck, new custom restoration project

"Kick out your motor and drive while you're still alive - kick it out!" - Heart 1977
derotoreut is offline   Reply With Quote