View Single Post
Old 07-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #3
e015475

Re: questions about working with bondo and pin holes?

Foot Stomper's advise will get you back on an even keel. In future, you might consider this-

In my limited experience, most of my pinhole problems are caused by overworking the filler while mixing or applying. Mostly applying.

If I find that I'm still working the filler and it starts to show signs of hardening, I always have pinholes.

As maligned as repairs that overuse bondo, there's really a technique for using it that requires a little skill to get a 'one and done' application. Here's a few things I do that might help next time-

- Mix up more than you think you'll need. I mix the filler in a figure-eight motion and don't lift the spreader off the board while I mix to keep air pockets to a minimum.

- Put the entire batch of mixed bondo on the panel - don't take a spreader-full at a time of bondo off the mixing board - do it all at once

- With as few strokes of the plastic spreader and making the strokes as long possible, spread the bondo. Overfilling with filler is ok, but you can't underfill, and if you do you might as well start over.

- Block the panel with 80 grit. Don't cheap out with the sandpaper - change it often. You want a lot of 'bite' from the paper.

-Shoot a little guide coat after you've roughed it in, and if you have any low spots, recoat the entire panel with bondo - you can't effectively 'spot' repair bondo without introducing waves in the panel's filler.

- You can 'tune' the viscosity of the Evercoat filler with a liquid resin called Evercoat Honey. Adding some Honey to the mix will let you smooth out the filler with the least number of strokes. Works very well on large, low crown panels where you're trying to put a thin even coat of filler. I like adding resin to the mix rather than a separate products as a final filler because the filler has a consistent hardness and sands more even for me.

- The primary cause of overworking the filler once it is on the panel is a dirty spreader or a spreader where the edge is not perfect. I wipe the spreader's edge immediately with a dry rag after I've spread the filler and peel off the cured filler on the spreader before the next load. I change spreaders often to keep a good edge, but you can burnish the edge to smooth it by rubbing it on your jeans.

- Despite all these precautions, you will still end up with a pinhole or two. I mix a very small batch of filler with a dab of Honey and use a straight edge razor to apply the filler to the pinhole.

Hope this helps a little
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote