View Single Post
Old 10-11-2021, 11:07 PM   #16
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Disappointed in my gear ratio choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin oil View Post
I love short stroke motors that wind out but I will tell you to forget it right now. Without spending stupid money the pistons are gonna be 11:1 high octane lovers. The heads will work great up top but will suck down low. The combo will need a cam that breaths to use those heads. Total picture is a fun motor that idles miserably and fouls plugs. Running WOT will be a blast but anything else will suffer along with the MPG. It's up to you but I wouldn't do it especially considering the low torque and the weight of our trucks.

No offense on this if it sounds wrong. I think you want a style and truck that roasts tires. Mess up the rear suspension and see what happens. Pull the shocks and drive it. If it spins then add a soft shock that you can tune enoughnto limit axle wrap. If nothing changes add stiffer shock and see if traction is lost. Drag racers spend countless hours reducing wheelnspin so an on doing the same ad you reduce the process. Have you tried raising the tire pressure? Let's be honest, rehearing again is cheaper than another motor.
Yes I want a tire roaster, but the truck is supposed to be rally cross like. They don't have truck classes usually, but more of a way for me to have fun. Plus there are lots of dirt roads over the mountains I can play on.

The 4.88 gears were chosen because I intend to go with a low cubic inch short stroke engine, and rely on rpm more then torque for speed. I was very surprised that with the 383 it would not kill the tires.

I don't need 8000rpm, and I intend to keep redline around 6500rpm as it keeps part cost reasonably low. The 302 I am leaning towards would work great with 4.88's, and play nicer at 3000-3500rpm then a 350 especially a 383. At cruising speed, and not effect speed to much.

I am fully aware regearing is cheaper, but like I said in other post atleast. The engine was a stop gap when I killed the original motor. The 383 will be replaced with a engine I decide compliments my 4.88's best with the tire combo I eventually buy when I do the suspension build. Other parts of the build namely tire height, and suspension mods are in flux. So I need to decide on where I want to go next, and gather some parts. Then engine will likely be after all other planned mods so I have an analog to judge where I want to take the engine combo first.

To understand what I am trying to do look up rally cross races. Or if you watch Roadkill. The Muscle truck shoot out first 1/2 is what I am aiming at. It is not about monster power as your ability to slide the rear end around faster then you can control on dirt is alot easier.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote