View Single Post
Old 04-27-2020, 12:41 PM   #1
Daubs

Need help with my painting plan

Making progress on the Green Truck.

This truck will be a driver. I want a rust-free, solid, good looking truck to drive on weekends and occasionally to work. It will be garage kept from now on.

Keeping the same color scheme, dark olive and white. Front clip is coming off, and the bed will be off. I do not think I will be removing the cab. I am using paint-rust stripper disk, wire wheel, flap disk on angle grinder to remove rust and paint where needed. I'm not media blasting frame or sheet-metal.

Here is what I need advice on:

Primer: Some of the sheet metal will be taken down to bare metal to get rid of surface rust. Badly rusted areas will be cut out and new metal welded in. Existing paint will be scuffed / sanded, body work, then primed. What epoxy will work best?

Paint: Yes, I'm going to attempt to spray the original dark olive metallic. I am thinking base coat, clear coat. Recommendations?

Frame: I may just leave it as is...rusty and original. Buddy recommended Chassis Saver. His truck looks really good! I've had mixed results with POR-15. If I were going all-out, I'd sandblast and epoxy...but that's not happening. Thoughts on frame paint?

Engine bay, other stuff: I plan to mechanically remove paint and rust, epoxy prime, then shoot with satin black. Again, doesn't have to be perfect, just free of rust, looking good, and durable. Recommendations on a good, durable satin black?

Body filler: I did body-work 30 years ago on my first truck. Always had trouble mixing...either set up too quickly, or not enough hardener. Recommendations here?

I do have 60 gallon 240v air compressor, three HPLV gun kit, MIG welder, body hammer and dollies.

Pictures for reference...
Attached Images