View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #26
cortcomp

Re: '66 Longbed 327 w/AC project

I've got everything out of the inside of the truck, except the steering wheel which i haven't figured out how to get out (can't get horn button off) but i didn't really put a lot of effort into it.

Anyway. dash is all but bare, front and rear windows out of the way, welded a few screw holes in the inner roof panel shut and filled them. Have been rehabbing interior parts and am about done with that, so real work is about to begin.

Now to sand the inside with 300ish grit, primer, and paint it the same color gray. Then those tar heat mats, the foil backed adhesive mats, then the jut mat then vinyl floormat. Doing the foil inside doors too, and up to the top of the gas tank, behind it.

Have new radio and modern drop in speaker. Figured out trailer brake controller wiring, and dash is ready to re-install after everything else is in. Really only wiring i need to track down is wire to heater motor, wire to A/C inside from compressor, and amp meter wiring

(i don't think it's hooked up, i think i can find it disconnected under the hood at the horn relay because it's all bypassed for the alternator. Even if it's not an accurate sense of charging, i'd like to have it register. Probably just change those endpoint connections to get a reading at like battery and starter solenoid signal wire or something that will show needle movement when cranking.).

Here's some pics of restoring the air vents, and some of the dash components. I've been sanding with 320 grit, washing, primering with rustoleum auto primer (gray, 2 coats) and painting with rustoleum gloss (grey, 2 coats). Black is kimball midwest gloss black heavy solids pro-line. I will be doing the engine bay with it, because it sticks to everything and lays well.

NP440 is at the tranny shop to be gone through, then i will put it in just to make sure where shifter hole lines up on floor, or if i have to do some quick metal work before doing the floor finishing. Then motor and tranny out to clean and detail the engine bay, and do all new gaskets on the 327. After that, i think i will finish up with lowering it like 3-4" back and 1-2" front, and converting to the newer power steering box with a fast ratio.
Attached Images

cortcomp is offline   Reply With Quote