View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 11:45 PM   #4
georgieb51

Re: Unlock my tool box? 1970 GMC Sierra Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
You are pretty much out of luck on it if you don't have the key. Be sure and spray the inside of the lock with a good penetrating oil and try your ignition key. Insert and remove it a few times to loosen up the tumblers. If the key will slide into the lock it may work. (don't force it)

Even if you can get to the latch bolt from the back you can't retract it because the locking system has a dead latch that keeps the latch bolt from retracting until the key is turned to the unlocked position. There is a spring clip that holds the lock cylinder in the door. If you could get to that and slide it off, the lock cylinder will come out. (See picture below) If you go that route be sure and spray the clip before trying to remove it.

In the picture the lock is in the unlocked position. When locked, the tab turns and blocks the lock bolt so it can't be retracted when the handle is pulled.
Thanks Doc. At least I now know what I am up against. I am considering drilling a hole with a hole saw large enough to get access to the lock so I can slide that "keeper" off and remove the lock. Then I could epoxy the hole back in place. Does this sound like a plan? And can I then get a key made for it or somehow replace the lock? I am willing to listen to suggestions from anyone else. There might be a million dollars in there!
1967 Chevy K10 Short Stepside, unrestored original.
1969 GMC CST (Longhorn) 396, buckets, unrestored.
1995 GMC K2500, 65,000 miles, 454.
georgieb51 is offline   Reply With Quote