Thread: Can swap
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2020, 11:54 AM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Can swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdangle View Post
I put in a SP350/357 GM crate motor earlier this year. Didn't realize a cam with a 108 LSA (215/223 duration) would not really idle very smooth. I've pretty much decided that I'll give up a bit of HP at the top end for more torque at the bottom and a smoother idle. Don't have any pictures, but it's all stock as far as the AC goes.
108 lobe separation is more for low end torque, and I have a tendency to run circle track 106's myself. I am leaving duration out of this equation as longer duration vs shorter is good for rpm.

A 110 lobe separation is what most street cams are ground on for good idle, and low end power. I would get a model with this lobe seperation, and no more then 112. Unless you build a engine to swing to 7500 rpm.

Lobe seperation has a tendency to just move the power up in the higher end by about 500 rpm to maybe a 1000 on a wilder cam. This is why I prefer the 106's since I could get 20-30 more hp/tq from 2500 till 4500 roughly to mess around with. I also enjoy the rough idle in a performance build.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote