View Single Post
Old 12-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #8600
texjake

Re: What did you do to your truck today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by legotech7 View Post
Well the other day I noticed that my volt meter was reading a little under 12 volts,so I look under the hood and noticed that the bolt that holds the bracket under neath the alternator broke to where its bolted to the passenger side of the head on the engine..So I attempt to tap out the broken piece left in the head. I drilled a hole in to the broken bolt. ( That was no fun ) I tried to use an extractor to get the piece out, but I needed to drill the hole in further so I could tap in the extractor. I could get to go in as soon as I turned the the extractor it would just pop out. I tried to drill the hole another size bigger, but still I couldn't get it to come out. Anyone have any other Ideas as to how I can remedy this? It seemed so simple...but.... no.... Is there another type of bracket I can use that can mount else where? The alt. is mounted on the passenger side of the engine.

The top pic is where my head ache is.. And the bottom pic is the bracket that is on there now. Maybe some can tell me how to use a different mounting point... Thanks one and all.......
There are a few different things you can try, the one from frednoah its a good one & get a torch & heat it up cherry red & let it cool down to room temp, the heat will take the hardness out of the bolt. Or you can try to chisel or use a punch out the extractor, even thou its harden steel it's brittle & you can chip it easier than drilling it out. Or you could try welding a grade 5 or 8 bolt to the broken bolt and if the weld is a great weld & it holds you could try to ease it out that way & work it while its hot. But that's only only after getting the extractor out first. Use a wax candle around the broken bolt after you heat it up, it will melt into the threads & acts as a lubricant. And/or get yourself a left hand drill bit and drill the broken bolt out. Use lots of heat to start with and it should come right out. Yes you have to run the drill in REVERSE, but this will work after you get the extractor out. Use a gas torch setup to get it hot before you use the drill bit on it & GO SLOW. Hope one of those works, not sure how far that extractor maybe into the threads on the head since it looks a bit off center. Other than taking the head off & taking it to the machine shop. Anything worth trying before having to pull the intake & head off & going to the machine shop.