Thread: Johns 66
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2020, 05:11 PM   #642
Johns 66

Re: Johns 66

A few more things done. I think in my inexperience I figured the back half of the frame would go pretty quick.....yeah right. I didnt take into account that 54 yrs of road grime, rust, krud and pretty much eveything you could think of would make it difficult to remove the u-bolts, and spring bolts. I used penetrating oil, wd 40 spit..lol and they were really tough.
Im not sure if its just the usage but the threads were pretty messed up on the u-bolts. Had to heat the upper spring bolts and ended up breaking them. Also the brake line connections were froze so I just cut them and will replace them.

I did get the trailing arm and panhard bar bushings out...not to bad after I read a thread from the board....just used a drill bilt and drilled around the rubber and they came out pretty easy.

I do have a little bit of welding to do. I cut 3in holes on the center cross member. My thoughts are I can run the exhaust through them i stead of under them. Im going to get a 1/4 plate for both sides and weld them in for strength...not sure I need them but better safe than sorry. I also got all the old brackets, old exhaust hangers and anything else that wasnt needed off the frame.....those 40 grit flapper disc on a 4i grinder work wonders on the rivets.

Last I got the frame, rear end, trailing arms, panhard bar painted....as well as the shocks....they were blue but as you can see I painted them red.....I think its a law in Alabama not to have any blue....lol
Attached Images

2019 GMC AT4
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote