Thread: Desert Trip III
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #26
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Desert Trip III

Got busy this week getting caught up on work stuff and didn’t have time to post more pictures.

Good idea Orbit! We’ll have to try that next time.

Turfking, I know what you mean. I lived in Michigan for a few years and it was the same way.

Monday morning…..

Once on the White Rim Trail the first stop was Muscleman’s bridge. Pictures serve this bridge no justice. It is very high and pretty narrow. You notice one buddy only has one leg and the other is in a wheel chair. With peer pressure like that I had to go out there myself even if I had to crawl.

From there we continued along our way for a while and decided to check out Lathrop bottom, which should take you directly to the Colorado River. This day the river was so high all of the canyon fingers will filled up with stagnate water. This was the end of this off shoot.

Found the only shady spot in the canyon to eat lunch.

Now back on top and back on the White Rim Trail. They call that column in the distance “Washer Woman”

Camp 1 on the White Rim Trail. Monday night

1legLance and his Troopy. That aluminum thing in the back is a refridgerator. All 3 of our trucks run a South African National Luna Fridge/Freezer. These things aren’t cheap but there is a lot to be said for drinking cold beer and eating ice cream in the desert. These fridges work flawlessly.

Tuesday morning. Way over on the other side is the Doll House. I have pictures of that area from last year. Really spectacular area.

Line up and headed out for Tuesday’s discoveries. At this spot you are about 4.5 hrs from the Canyonland vistor center.

Along this trail, it is not uncommon for your mirror to be hanging right over a cliff wall edge. Not a good place to open your door to snap a picture

Now it is time for a long climb that seems to wind around that butte forever. Pictures serve no justice to how steep and off camber (towards the edge) this section actually is. The Youtubes kind of show it. When we get to the top we find we get to go down the other side which is steeper and loaded with tight switch backs.

Looking down from the top. A few pictures ago where all three of our rigs near the cliff was taken at the mouth of that canyon finger down there.

My buddy snapped one of the best beauty shots of my rig as I crested the top. You will probably be seeing this picture again in Truck Camper Magazine soon.

More later…..
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote