View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
Ford Assassin

Re: My 4wd to 2wd Conversion

After I decided to make the push, I started searching for parts, lucky for me I found a guy that bought a 2wd '87 long box just for the body and had no interest in much else (except steering box).

So I cut the whole frame off at the firewall and grabbed the 8.5" 10 bolt (open) with 3.42 gears (will add a Eaton True-Trac later). I also grabbed the rear leaf spring hangers (shorter than 4wd version).

After I got everything home I tore it all down, bagged all the bolts, and pressure washed everything. I knew since it was all apart I was going to 'snowball' and I'd end up rebuilding most of the the front end. Sure enough I bought all new urethane bushings, ball joints, rotors (1.25"), and calipers (reused 2 month old ceramic pads from 4wd).

A buddy also gave me a pair of 56" rear springs (stock K5 and most 1/2 tons are 52") with the center pin offset 4" to keep the wheelbase the same. The 56" springs have thinner leafs and the longer spring should provide a smoother ride, especially on a such a short wheelbase truck like K5's.
Attached Images

-K5 Blazer 2wd: 6.0 LQ4, 7875 Turbo, Tick Stage II Turbo Cam, Built 4L80e, RevMax Billet 3600, 9.5" 14 Bolt
-Chevy 3+3 Crew Cab Dually: Cummins 12v P-Pump Swap, Compound Turbos, A2W Intercooler, NV4500HD, 4wd conversion, Radius Arms, Coilovers, Crossover Steering, etc
Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=803608
Ford Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote